Friday, April 20, 2012

Our First Car

Last week John and I bought our first car--a 2012 Toyota Prius C Three.  Definitely our biggest purchase together.  Several times this week we've gone out to the car after dinner just to sit and learn about the different features. 

We did learn that the nav screen does in fact not play video (DVDs, or files from a thumb drive--we tried to play our "Insanity" workout... it didn't work).  Not that we had expected it to...but it'd be convenient, right?

The specs of the hybrid are pretty fun--the nav system, bluetooth, XM radio, apps, and a second tiny screen that basically tells you how "green" you're being by giving you an ECO score.  While these features far surpass the technologies of John's late '95 Honda Accord (RIP, Rhonda), or our current '04 Oldsmobile Alero (long live Larry), they are super distracting!  Good thing the screen cannot play movies...because we would watch them! 

The odd thing about purchasing a new vehicle is that it actually spurred us to do two things. 

1: Remember that new things are fun and cool, but ultimately will be dust someday.  God is not temporary though, and we are grateful to have a savior in Jesus who is able to meet our deepest desires for pleasure and fulfillment--definitely not something a Prius can do!  No matter the MPG. 

2: Detail our old car for whatever reason tonight... which led us into Sears at 8pm on a Friday night... looking for a drill bit or something of the sort.  While John and his comrade, Adam, were looking up and down isles of ratchets, wrenches, and whatever else... I made small talk with the cashier woman.  She asked why I was not outside biking on a beautiful night like this...and if I now know how it feels for men when they have to accompany me shopping (as if I ever do...).  I didn't really answer...I just started roaming around Sears...I think I was confused by whoever thought it was a good layout to put the home and garden section next to the TVs/electronics...which is next to the vacuums, which is next to the sewing machines, next to the home phones and portable DVD players, next to the exercise equipment... the list goes on.  Thankfully we got out of there soon after I got lost.

And here we are now...on the couch... enjoying our Moose Tracks ice cream, watching "Cowboys & Aliens."  A predictable end to a long Friday night with my main squeeze... John William.  Good night little Prius C... we'll have to name you later!

PS--the new blog's named after Trip Lee's new song, "For My Good."  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment